Monday, February 7, 2011

All I Want is ONE!



So as I'm sitting on the couch for the 24th year as a Philadelphia Eagles fan (yes that's my age folks); I view for the 24th time another Lombardi Trophy being held in the hands of another franchise's hands but mines. Of course, 24 years is a lot worse than the 51 years or longer for most people of Eagle Nation waiting for the day we finally hoist the trophy that symbolizes the best team in football for that year. The fustration of another "special" season ending up in flames right before our eyes, and it's nights like Super Bowl Sunday where I sit back and say...I'm so numb that at this point we may never win that damn trophy...until we go 3-0 after three games of the next season...

That's the diehard Philadelphia Sports Fan in me...and it isn't going anywhere. We are as much as a deserving city to win that trophy much like the likes of Green Bay, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and New England. There is no fanbase more PASSIONATE, more EMOTIONAL, and damn right LOYAL than Philadelphia. Want to know how we treat our teams when they win a title? Look at the parades of the '80 Phillies, '83 Sixers, 1974 and 1975 Flyers, and more recently the 2008 Phillies. When you win a title in this city, you are Gods to us. People still revere the Broad Street Bullies every chance they get, especially those who grew up on the Bullies back in the 70s. The only sports championship I've gotten to "Live In The Moment" with was that 2008 Phillies team.

I will never forget Matt Stairs launching a Jonathan Broxton fastball deep into the night at Dodger Stadium, Brett Myers drawing a walk to load the bases leading to a GRAND SLAM from Shane Victorino off CC Sabathia and of course...Brad Lidge striking out Eric Hinske to end the drought. The fact that even if the 2011 Phillies don't win the World Series, the 2008 team will never die and will live on much like the Broad Street Bullies..."4-4-4" Moses and Dr.J Sixers...and the Tug McGraw leap off the mound 1980 World Series Phillies team. Yet something is truly missing...that one trophy not yet placed on the mantle...that Lombardi Trophy.

All I ask God is just one Lombardi Trophy. The Eagles under Andy Reid remind me of the girl you die to ask to the dance only to get rejected and more or less, a movie you already know the ending to...and a bad ending at that. I've ripped Reid on many occassions and it's simply because he gives me the ammo to do it. Shawn Brown already knows what it will take for me to shut the hell up about Andy Reid and his failures...it's to WIN A SUPER BOWL. That's all I ask Andy, I could care less if it's the only Super Bowl the franchise ever wins. I don't need to be the Pittsburgh Steelers or...ugh I hate to mention this team in the same breath...Dallas...don't do it CHRIS...Cowboys...ugh. At this point, I don't need 5 or 6 Super Bowls.

I just want ONE...and the fact that next season you will have Mike Vick with a full training camp under his belt as the starter and leader of one of the most explosive offenses in the league next season along with hopefully (wishful thinking) improvements on the defensive side in regard to Free Agency and the Draft (Nnamdi Asomugha or Aaron Williams or Chad Greenway), there will be no excuses then. As much as I love to bash you, I'd love to praise you if you win us a Lombardi Trophy. No one in New England is bitching about Belichick for two straight humbling defeats in the playoffs in two seasons...why? He's got THREE. Mike Tomlin may have failed at adding another chapter in the Steelers long history of success... but Pittsburgh will appreciate the effort in being one drive closer to ring number 7...because he's got a Super Bowl.

Me? All I want is one Andy...ONE Super Bowl...Please?.......

~C2~
Philly Sports Guys

No comments:

Post a Comment